Thursday 7 October 2010

A special holiday


When I was seven years old, I had a really special holiday. I went to Melilla, my mom's city. She and her parents and sisters came to Barcelona when she was 10 years, and she has almost all her family there.

We went to Melilla by plane. I was so excited, because that was my first time on a plane. We went to the Barcelona Airport by metro, and I almost fall asleep because it was too early in the morning and I love sleeping. When we arrived at the airport, I thought that it was really huge. And I couldn't stop to look at all those people running through the airport. When it was the time to check in the luggage, I had a few problems to put my teletubbies bag on the detector. Then, we went to Malaga to take a plane to Melilla. In this second plane, I had to sit at the back of the plane, and I couldn't hear anything during the entire trip.
When we arrived, my family was waiting for us, but I had just seen them once or twice when I was so little, and I couldn’t recognize them. After that, we went to their house and ate.

Days after, my mom's cousin Loli took us to visit Melilla. Melilla is so small if you compare it with Barcelona, so when she finished the visit, I couldn’t avoid laughing when she talked as if Melilla took so long to visit. I remember so clearly that Loli's radio car was broken, and we were listening the same music again and again. Even now, if I listen to one of those songs, I remember those car trips.

One day, we went to my cousin's wedding. The banquet was held on another cousin's club (the sister of the recent husband). I spent all the night playing pool with my dad. We went home at 7 a.m. with 40ºC.
I remember that transparently. Melilla is so hot. You take a shower, and when you go out of it, you are already sweating. But that had a good point. I ate ice-cream at 12.00 p.m.

I remember with real affection when we arrived to Spain. We went to my grandparent’s house, as we always do, and we ate "tortilla de patatas". Then we showed them all the things that we had recorded. At the same time, my granddad was explaining us what was Melilla like when he left. He was complaining a little bit about the change at the same time, while my grandma was asking him to shut up.

This holiday was so special for me, because I could meet a lot of members of my family who I’d never seen, and because I could learn about the city where my grandparents grew up, and where my mom had her childhood.

No comments: