Tuesday, 13 April 2010

Do schools kill creativity?

This is one of the best speeches I have ever listened to about education and the importance of creativity in education.

It's hilarious but also extremely interesting. Among many things and anecdotes, it explains case of a highly kinesthetic girl at school Gillian Lynne, a well-known coreographer (Cats, Phantom of the Opera), who was diagnosed a learning disorder at school. You can also read about her story in the English wikipedia.

I absolutely agree with Mr Ken Robinson about the need to reshape the educational system which nowadays is still placing too much emphasis on the logico-mathematical, and linguistic intelligences.

It reminded me of Rita Dunn's motto: "If the child is not learning the way you're teaching, then you must teach the way s/he learns."

Comment what you think about this video. Do you agree with Ken Robinson? Do you know any kinesthetic students? ....
What did you find most surprising/ shocking/ interesting/ amusing? ....  

You can read the subtitles in 39 languages! (which includes all the languages spoken in our class: Catalan, Chinese, English, French, Russian, Spanish and Ukranian, except Punjabi)



If you have any problems, check this link in Google Videos with Spanish subtitles.

                            __________________________________________________

Also Ken Robinson has recently written the book The Element and I've found a beautiful review of the book by Angela Maiers which I embed below for you to enjoy. One of the messages reminded me of Steve Jobs' motto: "You've got to find what you love".

7 comments:

Mireia said...

I agree with Mr Ken Robinson. The educational system focuses on the mathematics and lenguage, but the children need developed their artistic intelligent.
I think that the creativity is one of the most important things on our lives. It's like an escape for express yourself and forget the things that don't like you or your troubles, and only be free.

Malika said...

I'm agree with mireia, this society gives more importance to science than the arts. One of the things that I liked it was that nowaday is frowned upon mistake, he is absolutely right. We have to improve for the good of all!!

Judith said...

For my opinion I think that education is fundamental in the world to understand, communicate, work ... He also believes it would have to remove a series of subjects and spend much more time on other more important (English), since it is the universal language around the world.

delia said...

Nothing more to say. I'm absolutely agree with everyone. I've realized that I've lost a big part of the creativity I had when I was a chid and I suppose many are thinking like me.

Sònia Turmo said...

You might be right Delia, but being aware of it is the first step to make up for it and do something about it. There are many ways to develop our creativity, cooking for example, and many others... ;)

One of my favourite anecdotes is when he explains the case of that little girl who is drawing a picture of God and the teacher tells her "but nobody knows what God looks like?!" and she says: "They will in a minute" :D I thought that was brilliant!

Nariman said...

Really, I don't find nothing else to add. Only, only without imagination is nothing in the world would be to investigate possible because even remotely serious thing needs someone to occur what he sould to do to experience. Besides, without imaginaciion the human world and its creation would be gray and colorless (literally).

mehmoona arbab said...

I agree with Mr Ken Robinson. I think the creativity is very important in our life and it also helps us to go on and improve our knowledge.