All of you have been invited to a TV debate to discuss some issues about education.
STATEMENTS TO DEBATE:
1. The best way to study for an exam is to do it with a fellow student.
2. There is no point in studying the night before the exam.
3. Physical education should be an optional subject.
4. Most parents influence what university their child will attend or what degree they will study.
5. Students who cheat during exams must fail the subject until they take a final exam in June.
6. It is impossible to study with background music playing.
7. School holidays are too long.
8. School uniforms are boring
There will be 2 groups:
- The people in one group have to work out and note down all possible arguments IN FAVOUR of each statement, including defences against points that might be brought up by the opposition.
- The students in the second group have to work out and note down all possible arguments AGAINST each statement, including defences against points that might be brought up by the opposition.
NOTE: Groups to do not need to be divided according to actual opinions. They are divided arbitrarily, so many of you will find yourselves having to argue in favour of something that you oppose, or vice-versa. This is in fact a kind of role-play.
1- Each student is allowed 1 minute to give his/her opinion and support his/her arguments.
2- The procedure will be as follows:
student for -> student against -> student for -> student against