Thursday 1 March 2018

THE PLACE WHERE I LIVE

Marrakech is a city located in the southwest of Morocco, almost 200.000 people live in it. The city has an altitude of 466 meters because it is located on the slopes of the Atlas. Next to Meknes, Fez and Rabat, it is one of the four imperial cities of Morocco.

Marrakech is a city characterized by its great culture. It is well known for its large flea markets, historical monuments and immense gardens. For all those thing, in the summer there are many tourists in the city, who comes to see a bit of the History of Morocco. All buildings in the city are red ocher, so they also call It "the red city".

The weather is mild throughout the summer, it can even reach 40 degrees but the winters are warmer than we are used to in Spain. During the year, in Marrakech does not rain much, and that makes it a dry city.

The city has the traditional market -in Arabic it is pronounced suq- the largest in the country and one of the busiest squares in Africa and the world, Djemaa el Fna. In the square there are acrobats, storytellers, water sellers, dancers and musicians who act to make people laugh and have a good time. At night, the square is filled with food stalls, becoming a great open-air restaurant. The time I had dinner there, I had a great time. Everything was lit with colorful lights, the waiters were very friendly and the food  was delicious. I could not ask for more! It was spectacular!

I believe that the best thing about Marrakech is the atmosphere that is breathed. Sometimes the most cultural cities become industrialized and lose their magic, but I think Marrakech still maintains that magic makes you feel like part of a fifteenth century story when you are walking through the streets. The people are very nice and in every corner of the city there is a beautiful story.









2 comments:

Nadia R said...

Morocco seems to me a wonderful country, it has always attracted my attention, and I would like to help visit it one day.

Unknown said...

I didn't know anything of Marrakech until I read your essay.I would be charmed with being going to know his culture, traditions, food... Surely it would be an unforgettable experience