Monday 18 November 2019

Connectors / Linking Words

Here you have a list of the most common connectors.
If you make a good use of them, your text will be better articulated and more coherent.

Connector
Catalan translation
Example
Contrast:



but
però
It's hot but I'll take my coat.
sinó que
I didn't go out but I stayed at home.
although
encara que
Although it's hot, I'll take my coat.
in spite of
malgrat
The company had earnings in spite of the crisis.
however
malgrat tot
It's very hot. However, I'll take my coat.
on the other hand
per una altra banda
The company has earned a lot of money. On the other hand, they have closed many factories.
Addició:


and
i
I'll come and wait for you.
moreover
a més a més
We've lost everything. Moreover, the banks will take no responsability.
as well as
així com també
We've lost time as well as money.
also
també
We've lost time and we've also lost money.
in addition
a més a més
We've lost everything. In addition, the banks will take no responsability.
Exemple:


for example
per exemple
You need something that can relax you, for example, a long holiday at the beach.
that is
és a dir
We need an aggresive marketing campaign, that is, something that can improve our sales.
such as
tal com
We need something that can improve our sales such as an aggressive marketing campaign.
in other words
amb altres paraules
We need something that can improve our sales. In other words, we need an aggressive marketing campaign.

Seqüencia:


first of all
primer de tot
First of all, turn the computer on
secondly
en segon lloc
Secondly, look for the program
then
aleshores
Then, open the program
after that
després d'això
After that, locate the folders
finally
finalment
Finally, download the folders into your hard disk.
Temps:



before

abans de
I'll meet him before going home. I'll meet him before I go home. I'll meet him before 6 o'clock.

after

després de
I'll meet him after leaving the office. I'll meet him after I leave the office. I'll meet him after 6 o'clock.
while
mentre
I'll wait while you're in the meeting.
until
fins que fins a
I'll stay in the office until I finish my work. I'll stay in the office until 10 in the evening.
for
durant
I've been waiting for 10 minutes.
since
des de
I've been talking on the phone since you arrived.
as soon as
tan aviat com
Please call me as soon as you can.
Propòsit:


so that
de manera que
I'll give you the report so that you can check it.
in order to
per tal de, per a
I'll go to London in order to practise my English.
Resultat:


consequently
en conseqüència
I'ts very late. Consequently, we should go.
therefore
per tant
It's very late. Therefore, we should go.
for this reason
per aquesta raó
It's very late. For this reason, we should go.
so
així que
It's very late so we should go.
Causa:


because
perquè
I can't buy a flat because they are very expensive
because of
degut a
I can't buy a flat because of the price.
as a result
com a resultat
I have little money. As a result, I can't buy a flat.
thanks to
gràcies a
I earned a lot thanks to the extra hours.



No comments: